Hibiscus in Hawaii
Hibiscus in Hawaii
Hibiscus in Hawaii are everywhere. Littering most of the Hawaiian Islands with their amazing splashes of vibrant color, Hibiscus in Hawaii are every bit a part of the theme here in the tropical islands, and I’ll be so bold as to say… just as much as rainbows and coconut trees.
Here are some fun facts about the Hibiscus in Hawaii.
The flowers are large (4-18cm broad), conspicuous, and trumpet-shaped, with five or more petals. The Hibiscus in Hawaii come in a grand variety of colors that range from white to pink, red, orange, peach, yellow or purple.
- They come in all colors, varieties and sizes. It was the official Territorial Flower, adopted in the early 1920s.
- At statehood in 1959, the first state legislature adopted many of Hawaii’s symbols as part of the Hawaii state law.
- 1988, the yellow hibiscus which is native to the islands, is selected to represent Hawaii.
- This is the reason, you will see many older photos and postcards with the red hibiscus flowers.
- Hawaii State Flower – Pua Aloalo
* Hibiscus Tea ~ The flowers of hibiscus steeped in boiling water produce a delicious and healthy tea which has a taste resembling cranberry juice. It is said to lower blood pressure, and contains numerous valuable vitamins and essential fatty acids.
* Yellow hibiscus (Hibiscus brackenridgei) is a flowering shrub that grows on all the Hawaiian islands except Ni’ihau and Kaho’olawe. All three subspecies of the yellow hibiscus are listed as endangered species. Even in Hawaii, in this modern day era, the plant is rare.
• The flower can be used to make a natural dye or food coloring.
* Tahitian and Hawaiian women can wear a single red hibiscus flower behind her right ear to let people know she is available for marriage. If the flower is worn behind the left ear, the woman is married or in a relationship.
* Hibiscus has some of the largest flowers of any flowering plant.
* In Polynesia, the bark fibers can be used to make grass skirts.
* Hibiscus can be made into shampoo and has been used medicinally, notably for lowering blood pressure.
We at OahuSurfingExperience teach the most quality surfing lessons that surfing has to offer. If your a lady or a little girl and surfing doesn’t necessarily captivate you; we also offer a unique and exclusive mermaid model shoot that will absolutely intrigue the ladies and as well, give them memories that will last a life time. Keep in mind however, we absolutely are surfers at heart. So if we are not running a surf lesson or conducting a mermaid photo shoot,we more then likely will be out in the surf, tapping in to some valuable, “me time”. Because of this very reason, we strongly suggest that you book in advance with us, but it will be absolutely worth your commitment. Book now for your one of a kind opportunity and you will guaranteed walk away with skills and ocean safety knowledge that will last you a life time. Even when the waves are big we know of safe places to go. 808 497 7109 Email Oahusurfingexperience@aol.com
Tags: activities in oahu, advanced surfing lessons, best kids surfing lessons, Hibiscus in Hawaii, kids surf lessons oahu, surf camp north shore oahu, surf instructors, surf lessons, surf lessons oahu, surf lessons oahu north shore, surfing lessons oahu tripadvisor, things to do on oahu, Waialua surf shop Hawaii, women's surf camp oahu