five great surf snacks
five great surf snacks
When the surf is firing and all you want to do is get back in the water…, But hold on; we need to listen to our bodies! Our bodies are unbelievably rugged and durable machines, however, we are still made up of only flesh, bone and sinew and can still easily dehydrate, cramp up and become fatigued. When this happens, injury may be lurking behind every mistake. So, with that being said, hydrating and refueling your mind and body can become an extremely critical step in safe surfing. It is not just any old fuel that will do (i.e. soda and fast food), but rather refuel yourself with beneficial goodness and in so doing, making sure you avoid over sugary snacks.
The great thing about the five great surf snacks listed, is that they are great for if you are on the go.
Mixed nut blend
~ Grab a dried fruit : like dried raisins, apricots, dried cherries, cranberries, dates, chopped dried mango, strawberries, or possibly dried blueberries.
~ Purchase (4) variety of nuts. (all shelled)
peanuts, walnuts, pistacho, hazelnut, almonds, pecans, or cashews.
&~ a small bag of seeds like sunflower seeds shelled, or pumpkin seeds.
~ Now mix the desired dried fruit with the (4) dried nuts of choice, mix in the selection of seed and stir it all up in a big bowl. For some additional joy and awesomeness, stir in some dark chocolate chips or maybe even some sweet and healthy carob (optional but delightful).
~ When this is done, you can then re pack the mix into smaller zip locks bags that are easy to take on the go and ready to power you up before you surf. It is by no means a heavy meal, but it will give you the energy you need to sustain.
Superfood Spheres Recipe: (Makes 12)
1/2 Cup almond butter, raw if possible
1/4 Cup hemp hearts
1/2 Cup dried unsweetend coconut, plus extra for rolling
1/2 Cup oats, coarsely ground in food processor
1 Cup Crispy brown rice cereal
1 Tbls spirulina
1 tsp maca
1/4 Cup maple syrup
A pinch of sea salt
Procedure:In one bowl combine the hemp hearts, coconut, oats, brown rice cereal, and salt.In another bowl combine the almond butter, spirulina, maca, and maple syrup. Be sure to mix in the spirulina well with the other ingredients.Combine the almond butter mixture with the coconut mixture and thoroughly combine.Take a golf ball (I’m guessing here, as I have never played golf) size amount of the mixture and squeeze it into a ball, then roll in the extra coconut. Continue until all the mixture is used up. Store in the refrigerator.*Hint, if the mixture sticks to your hands when rolling, just slightly wet your hands to prevent sticking.
Prep time 10 mins Cook time15 mins Total time 25 mins Serves: 12
- 2 cups dry oatmeal
- 2 scoops protein powder vanilla
- 2 bananas
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Try adding 1 cup of these fun add-ins: almonds, walnuts,raisins or craisins
- I also added in 1 tbsp of chia seed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together.
- Divide mixture into muffin pan (making 12 muffin) and bake for 12-15
Blueberry Breakfast Parfait Pops
For 4 Popsicles
- 4 Yoplait Greek Yogurts (2 Blueberry, 2 Vanilla)
- 4 Blueberry Nature Valley Breakfast Biscuits, crushed or granola.
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Fold blueberries into vanilla yogurt.
First two popsicles:
- Layer 2 tablespoons blueberry yogurt, 1 teaspoon breakfast biscuits, 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt, 1 teaspoon breakfast biscuits, and 2 tablespoons blueberry yogurt in popsicle mold. (Adjust according to the size of your mold.) Sprinkle additional crushed biscuits on top and press in slightly to adhere.
Second two popsicles:
- Layer 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt, 1 teaspoon breakfast biscuits, 2 tablespoons blueberry yogurt, 1 teaspoon breakfast biscuits, and 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt in popsicle mold. (Adjust according to the size of your mold.) Sprinkle additional crushed biscuits on top and press in slightly to adhere.
- Freeze for at least four hours before removing and enjoying.
STRAWBERRY OAT SQUARES
For Oat Base
- 1.5 cups regular oats
- 1 cup whole-grain Kamut flour (or mix of white and whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Sucanat sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Earth Balance, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (for topping only)
For Strawberry Jam
- 2 & 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces OR approx 1 cup pre-made jam
- 3-4 tbsp sugar, to taste
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan (I used a 9×9) with parchment paper and oil the sides of the pan and base. In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar. Heat over low until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it heats down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 mins. You may also add arrowroot powder to thicken it up more if desired, but I didn’t have any.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix the chia or flax egg and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the oat base dry ingredients: oats, flour, Sucanat/brown sugar, baking soda, salt. In a small bowl, mix the melted earth balance, maple syrup, almond milk, and chia egg. Stir well.
- 4. Add the wet mixture (reserving 1/2 cup of the mixture) to the dry and mix well, using hands if necessary. Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers. Use a pastry roller to smooth out if desired. Pour on strawberry mixture and smooth out.
- 5. Now sprinkle on the reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture and sprinkle on. Now sprinkle on 1 tbsp of sesame seeds or coconut.
- 6. Bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes. Allow to fully cool for at least 30-40 minutes before gently removing from pan. Slice and then store in a container in the fridge to keep firm
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for some more fun and adventure.
We at OahuSurfingExperience teach the most quality surfing lessons that surfing has to offer. If your a lady or a little girl and surfing doesn’t necessarily captivate you; we also offer a unique and exclusive mermaid model shoot that will absolutely intrigue the ladies and as well, give them memories that will last a life time. Keep in mind however, we absolutely are surfers at heart. So if we are not running a surf lesson or conducting a mermaid photo shoot,we more then likely will be out in the surf, tapping in to some valuable, “me time”. Because of this very reason, we strongly suggest that you book in advance with us, but it will be absolutely worth your commitment. Book now for your one of a kind opportunity and you will guaranteed walk away with skills and ocean safety knowledge that will last you a life time. Even when the waves are big we know of safe places to go.
Tags: activities in oahu, advanced surfing lessons, become a mermaid, best kids surfing lessons, best surf camp oahu, five great surf snacks, fresh ideas, hawaii, hawaii fun, healthy, lessons surf, north shore, organic, surf camp north shore oahu, surf lessons, surf lessons oahu reviews, surf lessons oahu yelp, surf school